Top 5 Places to See in the Picturesque Town of Chandigarh
The tiresome lives we lead in the urban culture makes us want to take a break from time to time in order to regain our senses and work effortlessly towards our ambitions.
The constant noise and pollution in overcrowded places like Delhi take a toll on a person’s health. One of the most famous destinations for people looking for a hassle-free holiday and the fresh outlook is the city of Chandigarh.
Rightly coined as one of the most planned, culturally rich and modernized city by the British Broadcasting Company (BBC), Chandigarh stands on all claims.
Being a union territory as well as the capital city of both Haryana and Punjab, the city has a lot of welcome surprises for visitors from all walks of life. Being the first planned city in the country post-independence, Chandigarh is widely known internationally for its brilliant architecture and suburban blueprint. The city was designed and built under the supervision and perception of a Swiss-French architect namely Le Corbusier. He was assisted in his management by Jane Drew and Maxwell Fry who also happen to be well-established names in the field of town planning and architectural excellence.
Apart from its infrastructural excellence, Chandigarh stands to be one of the cleanest and greenest cities in the country to date. Chandigarh is also famous for being a safe place with a very low crime rate. Being in close proximity to the Shivalik range of the Himalayas, the weather in Chandigarh is mostly pleasant throughout the year, although the summers in the city tend to get very warm.
Chandigarh along with Panchkula and Mohali embodies 3 main areas that combine to constitute the area popularly known as the Tri-city area.
With a population of over 2 million people, Chandigarh boasts of having one of the highest per capita incomes of the country.
Let us take a look at all the wonderful places you can visit during Chandigarh City Tour:-
- Sukhna Lake– It is a lake which was established by restricting the flow of the Sukhna Choe which was a stream of water coming down from the hills of the Shivalik range. Since its inception in 1958, it is has been a serene destination for residents to take a stroll around and bask in the glory of its calming aura. The 3 km long stretch of the manmade water body offers an option to indulge in boating as a means of water sport or a long stretch of path along the lake for taking a peaceful walk. The garden of silence, located at the end of the Sukhna lake trail is also a famous tourist attraction. Best time to visit- Early morning and evening.
- Rock Garden– it is a garden famous for the picturesque display of sculptures made of recycled ceramics collected from throughout the city. Founded by a famous government official Nek Chand, it is also called as the Nek Chand’s Rock Garden. Comprising of multiple man-made waterfalls and structures spread over 40 acres of land, it is a sight which requires at leastthree to four hours to fully explore. The garden also has an open theatre where various cultural events and artist performances take place very often. Best time to visit- Evening.
- Chandigarh Capitol Complex– It is a world heritage site located in Sector 1 in Chandigarh. It houses Open Hand Monument, Geometric Hill, Palace of Legislative Assembly, Secretariat, High Court, and Tower of Shadows. All these places of significance are in the list of famous architectural marvels that must be seen by all visitors to encounter the historical relevance as well as the present revivification of the designs of the famous architect Le Corbusier.
- Elante Mall– The famous shopping complex is situated in the heart of the city and covers over 20 acres in area. The 11th largest shopping mall in the country is home to various high end as well as affordable brands to suit the needs of people from all walks of life. The complex also has multiple restaurants offering a plethora of cuisines. Like the vibe of the city, the mall also has a systematic outlook and upkeep, starting from the parking services to the management.
- Sector 17– This is a special inclusion in the list of tourist attractions for all the shopping enthusiasts who are in need to fulfill their desire of an ultimate one-stop shopping experience. The market has branded stores as well as street shops for apparels, footwear, accessories etc. Sector 17 market is a destination which is in close proximity to various famous hotel chains. The market is also famous for many restaurants and cafes which are always bustling with a crowd throughout the day.
The best way to get around the city is to hire a cab which will be at your disposal as per your requirement. Chandigarh is also a destination with close proximity to hill stations such as Kasauli, Shimla, Kasol, Manali, and Kufri among many others.
Hiway Cabs is an outstation luxury cab service which provides travelers with options of SUV and sedan vehicles to fulfill all their travel requisites. With brand new vehicles and verified well-versed drivers, HiWay Cabs ensures that all travelers to and from Chandigarh have an ultimate luxury travel experience.